Relationship with Local Communities
Our Thoughts on Social Contribution
Fuji Xerox believes that conducting social contribution activities means to fulfill our responsibility to society, improve the initiative and self-realization ability of each one of our employees, and will invigorate the entire organization. We set four basic policies based on our Philosophy on Social Contribution Activities and are actively conducting social contribution activities.
In fiscal 2012, based on the management discussion at the CSR Committee, Fuji Xerox decided to strengthen its activities in order to make a visible and characteristic contribution to society as a communications business company. Accordingly, based on our Mission Statement, in which we are committed to "Contribute to the advancement of the global community by continuously fostering mutual trust and enriching diverse cultures, we have identified as our key social contribution themes: "Education for future generations" and "Conservation of diminishing cultures."
Philosophy on Social Contribution Activities
In addition to providing excellent value to customers, Fuji Xerox and its affiliates work alongside our employees to play a leading role in cultural development and efforts to build a better society from a long-term and broad perspective, based on lofty ideals, to meet broad ranging societal expectations.
Basic Policy on Social Contribution Activities
- We put priority on the activities for future generations and global environment.
- We act focusing on the areas and regions which relate deeply with our core business.
- We encourage voluntary participation of more employees.
- We strengthen closer cooperation with outside partners who share value for these activities.
Scope of Social Contribution Activities
We will promote projects to provide learning materials in emerging countries, offer large-print textbooks for students with low vision, and replicate historical documents, which we have selected as our companywide programs to make a visible contribution in line with the key social contribution activity themes. In addition to traditional philanthropy programs, we will also promote other activities related to the key themes and work to solve local issues which require continuous engagement. Eventually, we would like to help solve social issues by a synergistic combination of our social contribution activities and business activities.
Topics in Fiscal 2013
Framework of Social Contribution Activities at Fuji Xerox
Our mid- to long-term objectives of social contribution activities are designed to: promote visible and characteristic social contribution activities; help solve local problems; and energize employees through participation in social contribution activities.
In fiscal 2013, we defined the overall visions and principles of our social contribution activities and organized individual programs. At the same time, we focused on the preparations for new projects under the key themes, such as launching a project to provide learning materials in emerging countries and establishing a new project center for a project to replicate historical documents. In fiscal 2014, we will continue to promote and expand major programs under the key themes, while communicating the overall vision and principles of our social contribution activities to our affiliates in Japan and overseas to lay the groundwork for strengthening the activities in the future.
- For details, please see System for Supporting Employee Participation in Society.
- Please also see Main CSR Indicators.
Progress of our CSR in Relationship with Local Communities
|Field||Indexes||Companies||2011 Performance||2012 Performance||2013 Performance|
|Expenditure on Social Contribution Activities||Expenditure on social contribution||Fuji Xerox (unconsolidated)||43.66 million yen||37.80 million yen||39.90 million yen|
|Affiliates and sales companies in Japan||91.00 million yen||96.00 million yen||96.00 million yen|
|Overseas affiliates and sales companies||136.40 million yen||194.00 million yen||19.30 million yen|
|Major Social Contribution Programs in Numbers||Number of copies of large-print textbooksNote1||Fuji Xerox and its domestic affiliates||390,000||390,000||220,000|
Grants from the Fuji Xerox Setsutaro Kobayashi Memorial Fund
|Research Grant Program of Foreign Doctoral Candidates in JapanNote2||Number of recipients||Fuji Xerox (unconsolidated)||32||30||32|
|Number of subsidies||32||32||32|
|Amount in subsidies||22.01 million yen||22.55 million yen||22.42 million yen|
|Kobayashi Fellowship ProgramNote3||Number of recipients||Fuji Xerox (unconsolidated)||8||8||8|
|Number of subsidies||8||8||8|
|Amount in subsidies||6.16 million yen||5.64 million yen||5.17 million yen|
|Number of companies supporting Special Olympics||Fuji Xerox and its affiliates||16||10||19|
|Mechanisms for Support for Volunteer Activities||Ratio of companies supporting volunteer activitiesNote4||Fuji Xerox (unconsolidated)||100%||100%||100%|
|Affiliates and sales companies in Japan||97.6% (40 companies / 41 companies)||100% (45 companies / 45 companies)||100% (45 companies / 45 companies)|
|Overseas affiliates and sales companies||76.2% (16 companies / 21 companies)||81% (21 companies / 17 companies)||78.3% (23 companies / 18 companies)|
|Employee participation in volunteer programsNote5||Fuji Xerox (unconsolidated)||Figures unavailable (while company-sponsored
volunteer programs have been active,
monitoring of participation levels did not begin until fiscal 2013)
|Affiliates in Japan||2,162|
|Number of members of the HASU ClubNote6||Fuji Xerox (unconsolidated),
Fuji Xerox Advanced Technology Co., Ltd.,
Fuji Xerox Manufacturing Co., Ltd.,
and Fuji Xerox Service Creative Co., Ltd.
|Number of users of the volunteer day-off system||Number of users||Fuji Xerox (unconsolidated)||118 (Male:94, Female:24)||50 (Male:38, Female:12)||15 (Male:11, Female:4)|
|Total number of volunteer days||530 days||135 days||54 days|
|Number of users of social services||Fuji Xerox (unconsolidated)||0||0||0|
- Note1 Support for large-font textbooks: A program under which Fuji Xerox and affiliates provide an environment enabling large-font textbook production by offering free use of color multifunction devices to volunteers and parents who produce such textbooks by hand for children and students with visual impairments.
- Note2 Grants to support research by young scholars from the Asia-Pacific region who are enrolled in doctoral programs in the humanities or social sciences at Japanese graduate schools. ( The numbers include those who returned the grant after receiving it. )
- Note3 Fellowships to support young Japanese researchers who are enrolled in doctoral programs in the humanities or social sciences and are pursuing research concerning other parts of the Asia-Pacific region.
- Note4 Percentage of companies among Fuji Xerox and our affiliates that have instituted systems to encourage and support employee volunteerism, including HASU Club (Note 6) and volunteer leave.
- Note5 Number of employees engaging in volunteer activities represents the total number of employees of Fuji Xerox and its affiliates who participated in or cooperated in volunteer activities organized by the company.
- Note6 HASU Club is a volunteer organization run by Fuji Xerox employees. The club raise funds from members, who voluntarily contribute the fractional remainders from their monthly salaries and scheduled bonuses via automatic withdrawal, and use the contributions to support their own social contribution activities or other NPOs/NGOs.