Launches Scan Translation Service, a Cloud-Based Machine Translation Service Linking With Multifunction Devices
Makes Document Translation Easy As Copying to Facilitate Communications
November 5, 2012
TOKYO, November 5, 2012 — Fuji Xerox Co., Ltd. has today launched Scan Translation Service, a cloud-based Software as a Service (SaaS) machine translation serviceNote1 that can function over the Internet through Fuji Xerox multifunction devices and PC web browsers.
Enabling quick understanding of foreign documents, Scan Translation Service facilitates global communications by streamlining the translation process when users need to grasp the gist of a document written in a foreign language to determine its importance or urgency, or to facilitate communications between people who speak different languages.
Translates both paper and electronic documents
Using multifunction devices, the service enables translation of documents as easy as copying. Users simply place the original document on the scanner of a multifunction device, select the language on the device's control panel, and press the start button. The translated document will then be printed out to the output tray of the device. It is also possible to translate electronic documents in DocuWorksNote2 or PDF format by uploading them to the server from a PC web browser.
Provides translation between four languages, and more accurate translation using customized dictionaries
The service provides translation between Japanese, English, Chinese (simplified and traditional) and Korean. For English translation, specialized dictionaries in nine fields including politics/economics, art and medicine are available. Further, users can register up to 800 user dictionaries with 20,000 words per dictionary to improve the accuracy of translation.
Overlays translation on the same layout as the original document, and offers three translation styles
With Fuji Xerox's proprietary image processing technology, the service provides translation without changing the layout of photos and figures in the original document, thus the translated document comes out with the same layout making communications smoother. Also, the service offers following three translation styles:
- Replacement Translation: The original text is replaced to the translated language.
- Ruby-style Translation: Translated text is added above the original text.
- Word Translation: Certain words are translated and the translation is added above the original text.
- As the service is based on machine translation, the translation may not be as accurate as users require. However, the translation accuracy can be improved by adding the dictionaries, and it is recommended to customize the dictionaries.
- Fuji Xerox's document handling software that centrally manages and utilizes electronic documents and scanned paper-based documents on computers.
Related websites (Japanese only):
|Product name||Number of users||Monthly charge (before tax)||Number of documents that can be translated simultaneously|
|Scan Translation Service||10||10,000 yen||1|
- One Scan Translation Service ID can manage up to 100 users. When the number of users exceeds 100, multiple Scan Translation Service IDs will be issued.
Currently only in Japan
For the full text of this release, please download below.
- Note Please be advised that the links mentioned in the release and the announcement may be closed without notice.