Fuji Xerox Develops Chemical Substance Control System to Centrally and Globally Manage Use and Inventory of 30,000 Chemicals
Responding to Domestic and Overseas Laws and Regulations
September 30, 2014
TOKYO, September 30, 2014 — To quickly and precisely respond to the increasing number of chemical-related laws and regulations worldwide, Fuji Xerox Co., Ltd. has developed the Fuji Xerox Chemical Substance Control System to centrally manage the usage and inventory of 30,000 types of chemical substances the company uses. Fuji Xerox will start operating the system at all of its production sites in JapanNote1 in October, followed by Fuji Xerox Hai Phong Co., Ltd. in Vietnam by the end of fiscal 2014, and will introduce it to other overseas sitesNote2 in stages.
The new system consists of the Chemical Substance Environmental and Safety Information Database that FUJIFILM Corporation developed in 2009, and Fuji Xerox's Chemical Inventory Management System.
The features of the system include:
- Utilizes Fujifilm's Chemical Substance Environmental Safety Information Database, which covers both chemical substances that are regulated worldwide as well as those that could be regulated in the future. This enables Fuji Xerox to quickly respond to additional regulations not only in Europe where strict regulations are in place, but also in Asian countries and regions where many new laws and regulations have been enforced.
- Enables the early monitoring of substances that are likely to be regulated in the future, which allows excluding them during the product design and development phases, thereby eliminating the possibility of re-designing when any substance becomes subject to regulation.
- Allows the headquarters to centrally manage the inventory data for about 30,000 types of chemical substances used at its domestic and overseas development and production sites, which used to control them on their own. Enables quick and efficient reporting to the authorities when necessary on the usage and inventory volume of chemical substances.
Fuji Xerox's environmental initiatives are based on the three pillars: the prevention of global warming, the effective use and conservation of natural resources, and the reduction of chemical substance risk. Cooperating with Fujifilm, which implements advanced chemical management such as establishing its own safety standards and assigning teams that monitor legislative trends globally, Fuji Xerox will contribute to developing a sustainable society by securing the safety of its products and employees and giving full consideration to the environment.
- Note1 Fuji Xerox Ebina Center, Takematsu Center, and Nakai Research Center, Fuji Xerox Manufacturing Co., Ltd., Fuji Xerox Advanced Technology Co., Ltd., etc.
- Note2 Fuji Xerox of Shenzhen Ltd., Fuji Xerox of Shanghai Limited, Fuji Xerox Eco-Manufacturing Co., Ltd., Fuji Xerox Eco-Manufacturing (Suzhou) Co., Ltd., etc.
- Note Xerox, Xerox and Design, as well as Fuji Xerox and Design are registered trademarks or trademarks of Xerox Corporation in Japan and/or other countries.
- Note Services or products mentioned in this news release are registered trademarks or trademarks of the relevant companies.