Relationship with Local Communities
Our Thoughts on Community Engagement
Fuji Xerox believes that conducting community engagement activities means to fulfill our responsibility to society, improve the initiative and self-realization ability of each one of our employees, and will invigorate the entire organization. We set four basic policies based on our Philosophy on Community Engagement Activities and are actively conducting community engagement activities.
In fiscal 2012, based on the management discussion at the CSR Committee, Fuji Xerox decided to strengthen its activities in order to make a visible and characteristic contribution to society as a communications business company. Accordingly, based on our Mission Statement, in which we are committed to "Contribute to the advancement of the global community by continuously fostering mutual trust and enriching diverse cultures", we have identified as our key community engagement themes: "Education for future generations" and "Conservation of diminishing cultures and information."
Philosophy on Community Engagement Activities
In addition to providing excellent value to customers, Fuji Xerox and its affiliates work alongside our employees to play a leading role in cultural development and efforts to build a better society from a long-term and broad perspective, based on lofty ideals, to meet broad ranging societal expectations.
Scope of Community Engagement Activities
We will promote projects to provide learning materials in emerging countries and to replicate historical documents, which we have selected as our companywide programs to make a visible contribution in line with the key community engagement activity themes. In addition to traditional philanthropy programs, we will also promote other activities related to the key themes and work to solve local issues which require continuous engagement. Eventually, we would like to help solve social issues by a synergistic combination of our community engagement activities and business operations.
Framework of Community Engagement Activities at Fuji Xerox
Our mid- to long-term objectives of community engagement activities are designed to: promote visible and characteristic social contribution activities; help solve local issues; and energize employees through participation in community engagement activities.
In 2015, we expanded our project of providing learning materials in developing countries for the education of future generations to Thailand and Myanmar. Our project of replicating historical documents in order to preserve cultural legacy, managed from two centers in Kyoto and Yokohama, is being expanded to the whole country. Apart from that, Fuji Xerox and its affiliated companies keep promoting community engagement activities tailored to the needs of each particular location both in Japan and overseas.
Progress of our CSR in Relationship with Local Communities
|Field||Indexes||Companies||2013 Performance||2014 Performance||2015 Performance|
|Expenditure on Community Engagement Activities||Expenditure on community engagement||Fuji Xerox (unconsolidated)||372.00 million yen||320.00 million yen||372.00 million yen|
|Affiliates and sales companies in Japan||96.00 million yen||72.00 million yen||72.00 million yen|
|Overseas affiliates and sales companies||193.00 million yen||176.00 million yen||174.00 million yen|
|Major Community Engagement Programs in Numbers||Number of copies of large-print textbooksNote 1||Fuji Xerox and its domestic affiliates||220,000||280,000||270,000|
|Grants from the Fuji Xerox Kobayashi Fund||Research Grant Program of Foreign Doctoral Candidates in JapanNote 2||Number of recipients||Fuji Xerox (unconsolidated)||32||33||32|
|Number of subsidies||32||33||32|
|Amount in subsidies||22.42 million yen||20.14 million yen||22.75 million yen|
|Kobayashi Fellowship ProgramNote 3||Number of recipients||Fuji Xerox (unconsolidated)||8||8||8|
|Number of subsidies||8||8||8|
|Amount in subsidies||5.64 million yen||5.17 million yen||6.86 million yen|
|Number of companies supporting Special Olympics||Fuji Xerox and its affiliates||19||25||21|
|Mechanisms for Support for Volunteer Activities||Ratio of companies supporting volunteer activitiesNote 4||Fuji Xerox (unconsolidated)||100%||100%||100%|
|Affiliates and sales companies in Japan||100%||100%||100%|
|Overseas affiliates and sales companies||78%||87%||87%|
|Employee participation in volunteer programsNote 5||Fuji Xerox (unconsolidated)||808||903||656|
|Affiliates in Japan||2,162||4,756||4,023|
|Number of members of the HASU ClubNote 6||Fuji Xerox (unconsolidated), |
Fuji Xerox Advanced Technology Co., Ltd.,
Fuji Xerox Manufacturing Co., Ltd.,
and Fuji Xerox Service Creative Co., Ltd.
|Number of users of the volunteer day-off system||Number of users||Fuji Xerox (unconsolidated)||15 (Male:11, Female:4)||18 (Male:12, Female:6)||20 (Male:38, Female:12)|
|Total number of volunteer days||54 days||47 days||62 days|
|Number of users of social services||Fuji Xerox (unconsolidated)||0||3||1|
- Note 1 Support for large-font textbooks: A program under which Fuji Xerox and affiliates provide an environment enabling large-font textbook production by offering free use of color multifunction devices to volunteers and parents who produce such textbooks by hand for children and students with visual impairments.
- Note 2 Grants to support research by young scholars from the Asia-Pacific region who are enrolled in doctoral programs in the humanities or social sciences at Japanese graduate schools (the numbers include those who returned the grant after receiving it).
- Note 3 Fellowships to support young Japanese researchers who are enrolled in doctoral programs in the humanities or social sciences and are pursuing research concerning other parts of the Asia-Pacific region.
- Note 4 Percentage of companies among Fuji Xerox and our affiliates that have instituted systems to encourage and support employee volunteerism, including HASU Club(Note 6) and volunteer leave.
- Note 5 Number of employees engaging in volunteer activities represents the total number of employees of Fuji Xerox and its affiliates who participated in or cooperated in volunteer activities organized by the company.
- Note 6 HASU Club is a volunteer organization run by Fuji Xerox employees. The club raises funds from members, who voluntarily contribute the fractional remainders from their monthly salaries and scheduled bonuses via automatic withdrawal, and use the contributions to support their own social contribution activities or those of NPOs/NGOs.